




Sunday, October 5th
This morning I not only woke up to the sounds of roosters and dirt bikes going here and there but also to multiple church services going on. (You see you can hear everything going on around you because everybody has their windows and doors open for air circulation and besides, most the time everybody is outside ‘cause it is so fabulously hot inside.) Wow, one service featured an out-of-tune piano and somebody on a drum kit banging away random beats. Just when you thought you were listening to some college radio station playing experimental music some guy started signing off-key in Crio. I love my Ipod!
Speaking of which… have you ever had one of those moments when you just stop and realize how magical life can be? That happened on our way back to Freetown from Makeni. At one point I was out of the SUV helping to push start it and the next I was in it listening to Tom Waits all the while passing huts and women on the side of the road selling palm oil. I don’t know… it just struck me as an enchanting moment maybe because the old, tired SUV we were traveling in continued to work until we reached the office in Freetown.
Anyway, I jumped ahead. On Sunday we left Kabala and traveled to the other sub-field office in McKinney to talk to field agents and others about our program. Makeni, is not as quiet (kids and church services aside) and charming as Kabala. And hotter! Note to future travelers: Sierra Leone is HOT! Bring a hand fan and plenty of deodorant. Nevertheless, Makeni is a good place to buy hand dyed fabric and you can take a warm shower at the M & J motel.

1 comment:
Love the magical moment comment Golding! The photo of the two little ones in quite magical too. Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment